Monday, May 18, 2009

How do you define fun?

Don't you agree that as adults we don't take enough time to have fun and to play? I mean, seriously, when is the last time you laughed out loud? (Except for Mary, who I know does this every day with her son.) Anyway, as a new mom, and someone who does not handle unstructured time very well I have found myself in a bit of a rut. So, last Friday I started making a list of things I can do, for me, to not feel so...I don't know... in a rut?

This is what I have so far:
  • Read more, not just for escape and fun but for knowledge (I have to brush up on my knowledge of Ancient Civilizations for next year)
  • Go to an exhibit at least once a week (Barcelona is full of art and culture!)
  • Invite friends over/arrange outings (I know that we are the married couple with a kid so we don't get a lot of invites, but that doesn't mean it has to be the end of our social lives, right?)
  • Excercise (I take Pilates every Wednesday, but try to go to a mat class at least once a week and do yoga at home, in addition to walking a lot)
  • Practice piano (yeah...have to come up with a plan)
  • Play strategy games (Dedicate one night a week to no TV and make my husband play a game with me. Besides, good role modeling for the Z)
  • Scope out some artwork for our walls
  • Try a new recipe/food/food shop
  • Investigate guided tours of downtown BCN
  • Look into Democrats Abroad and/or BCN's Women's Network
  • Research real estate market (We don't know if we are staying or going, but I always enjoy this game)
  • Watch Friends, 30 Rock and Jon Stewart for comic relief.

I am writing these down so you can hold me accountable. Let's see what I can get out of it.

Any other ideas??????

2 comments:

Mary said...

Those are all great ideas, but don't put pressure on yourself to check things off a list. The biggest thing is to have some structure to your days. That's part of the reason why I was (am) so big on having a 'schedule' for the boy. It helped me plan my days too.

So plan your week ahead of time. Z is still little, but he should be more predictable by now so you can do this. Plan your meals for each night - and throw in a new recipe to try if you feel inspired. Plan your exercise times (whether it's yoga, pilates, or a walk). Plan your errands/tasks, too. Etc. Then you'll have something each day that you know you have to do, and you'll be better about appreciating the downtime inbetween (to read those books or practice the piano). Good luck and enjoy! September will be here before you know it!

Dawn said...

Thanks Mary!!! I needed that.