Saturday, March 14, 2009

Food for thought




I know what you're thinking. That the only thing I can think about is food. Well, that is partly true. I like to eat. I like to cook. And, lately I am hungry! Breastfeeding is a wonderful experience and I feel sorry for moms who don't at least try it or who have tried it without success. That said, it burns a zillion calories, or so they say. I only know that I am never full. All I can think about is what I am going to eat next. I just finshed dinner and am already salivating over tomorrow's breakfast (pancake Sunday, in honor of Kevin). Well, in an effort to reel things in and not just grab that pint of Ben and Jerry's, I decided to search NY Times for inspiration and I enjoyed this article:
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/index.html

Especially about what to do with leftover celery. It's true. You buy celery for that tuna salad and only use like one stalk and the rest withers and turns yellow. Lo! Other uses for celery. The salad with mushroom and parmesan sounds interesting. I did make the lentil minestrone and can tell you it yields 8 very generous servings. I have so much leftover I had to finish off the ice cream to make room in the freezer!

2 comments:

Portland Sunshine said...

I am a big fan of Mary and her blog, so its great to know her sis has started one too! Keep it up. As for always being hungry while breastfeeding...I AGREE! Ice cream is my go to...every night...

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I tried the celery, potato and onion soup from your celery recipe link and though it is stinking up the kitchen this morning, it was pretty yum. Thanks for teh ideas. Celery mushroom salad is for tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.